UFC Vegas 28 capped off the night with not one, but two first-round heavyweight TKOs.
First, Marcin Tybura finished off Walt Harris with some methodical ground-and-pound. Then, in the main event, Jairzinho Rozenstruik used the last ten seconds of the first round to finish off Augusto Sakai just before the bell rang.
Walt Harris vs. Marcin Tybura
Harris came out strong, following up a few solitary kicks and short combos by chasing Tybura back to the cage, keeping him on his heels as he came forward with aggressive punch combos. Tybura tried to clinch up and eventually managed to nearly take Harris to the ground. Harris prevented Tybura from completing the takedown, and Tybura briefly forced him against the cage. Harris broke free, but Tybura caught a kick from his opponent and drove him to the ground, pinning him in side control. Harris escaped side control by getting to his knees, opening the opportunity for Tyburato to get a hook in and land some hard hits to the head from behind. Tybura worked the other hook in and continued to batter Harris, who was forced to defend. Tybura flattened out his opponent, and from there, it was all over — Harris could do nothing but protect his head, and the referee called the fight.
Marcin Tybura was declared the winner by TKO at 4:06 into round one.
Jairzinho Rozenstruik vs. Augusto Sakai
The fighters were cautious in the first round of the fight, with Rozenstruik working to control the center of the cage. There was very little action, with the fighters feeling each other out and throwing one-off punches and kicks. But that all changed in the last ten seconds of the fight. Rozenstruik charged forward and drove Sakai against the fence, landing a big right hand that knocked Sakai to the ground. Rozenstruik followed him down and battered him until the referee called him off with literally one second left to go.
Jairzinho Rozenstruik was declared the winner by TKO at 4:59 in round 1.
- Claudio Puelles def. Jordan Leavitt via decision
- Sean Woodson def. Youssef Zalal via decision
- Manon Fiorot def. Tabatha Ricci via TKO (Round 2)
- Alan Patrick vs. Mason Jones — no contest (eye poke)
- Kamuela Kirk def. Makwan Amirkhani via decision
- Muslim Salikhov def. Francisco Trinaldo via decision
- Ilir Latifi def. Tanner Boser via decision
- Montana de la Rosa def. Ariane Lipski via TKO (Round 2)
- Gregory Rodrigues def. Dusko Todorovic via decision
- Santiago Ponzinibbio def. Miguel Baeza via decision
- Roman Dolidze def. Laureano Staropoli via decision
- Marcin Tybura def. Walt Harris via TKO (Round 1)
- Jairzinho Rozenstruik def. Augusto Sakai via TKO (Round 1)