The team format of Quintet continues to provide grappling and MMA fans alike with exciting match ups that we’d likely never get to see on any other stage. This go around we got see representatives from four of the biggest MMA promotions past and present to compete for dominance on the mat. WEC, Pride FC, and Strikeforce all got to have one last showdown before, being outclassed by the UFC just like in real life. But what would a fight card be without superfights?

Craig “There’s vegemite in my brain” Jones got things started with a quick RNC over Fredson Paixao after pulling guard and threatening a leg attack before taking the back.
Seemingly under the assumption that the fastest submission won you an actual pot of gold, Danielle Kelly continued the trend set by Jones with a finish over MMA fighter Cynthia Calvillo that literally occurred as I blinked after the match began. The EBI veteran quickly dropped and secured the straight ankle lock mere seconds after the start and I became even more terrified of having my legs broken.

Proud of his loyal subjects for their efforts, Gordon “King” Ryan ended the last superfight of the evening with a similarly fast sub over Aleksei Oleinik. The ADCC Champion wasted no time getting into double trouble and securing the kneebar before Oleinki could miraculously pull off another insane Ezekiel choke from nowhere. (Aleksei, you’re my hero.)

The main tournament was just as entertaining, with both traditional grapplers and MMA transplants clearly giving this their full effort.

Team UFC faced off against StrikeForce after Pride and WEC were wiped out respectively.

Clay Guida (UFC) managed to take Babalu Sobral (Strikeforce) to a draw despite the weight disparity and shorter time limit stemming from said disparity. Anthony Johnson and King Mo had a similar battle, with most of the action taking place on the feet and Rumble possibly getting poked in the eye for his trouble. In fact, all but one of the matches in the finals was declared a draw, and that left Jake Sheilds vs Gilbert Burns.

Burns starts off in control, grabbing a takedown, passing the guard multiple times, and securing back mount for the first three minutes of the match. Jake is able to ride it out and escape, putting up De La Riva guard to maintaing control and distance of Burns’ right leg. Burns stays on the offensive, constantly trying to pass and mount and even getting into 50/50 at one point. The reff stands both men up at the 3:30 mark and Burns keeps to the script. with 90 seconds left Burns passes to mount once again and continues to work submissions until the buzzer rings. The judges award Burns the decision, and the UFC has buried Strikeforce for the second time in history. Way to rub it in.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here