The second Emerald City Invitational was just as exciting as the first, with jiu-jitsu athletes of all specialties and skill sets putting themselves to the test in superfights and, for some, in the 145lb championship bracket.
Main Event Superfight
Joe Baize vs. Drew Puzon
Baize sat guard and immediately applied a straight ankle lock, but Puzon did an admirable job of defending and escaping. Baize came on top to reverse the position, but soon sat back again for another straight ankle lock attempt. After getting too close to the edge of the mat, the athletes were reset on their feet, Baize quickly pulling guard again. Puzon closed the distance and worked on passing from half-guard. Baize transitioned to deep half-guard and worked his way to his opponent’s leg again, this time finding an outside heel hook and getting the tap at three minutes and twenty seconds into the match.
Kennedy Maciel vs. Gianni Grippo
After some hand-fighting on the feet, Maciel snatched up a single-leg on Grippo, and the latter tried to jump a guillotine before falling to the mats in open guard. Grippo stayed fluid with his guard game, alternating from pudim to x to inverted to keep Maciel at bay. Grippo then latched onto Maciel’s legs before coming up to reverse the position, and Maciel took a hold of Grippo’s leg before deciding to come up to return to trying to pass guard. Grippo defended against Maciel’s attempts with a strong knee shield, trying to isolate a leg. Maciel was quick, though, and with some persistence, he got past Grippo’s legs and into north-south. With just 45 seconds left in regulation, though, Grippo was able to create space, and Maciel focused on trying to pass his opponent’s guard until the bell.
Overtime began with Grippo on Maciel’s back, the former working an arm across his opponent’s chin and eventually managing to trap an arm with his leg. Grippo trapped Maciel’s other arm with his hand and worked to get his free hand beneath the chin. Maciel managed to defend until time ran out, though, and no submission occurred.
Maciel immediately locked up a body triangle as he took Grippo’s back for the second half of the first round of OT. He sunk in a rear naked choke, which Grippo defended with his chin. Grippo, too, was able to hold out for the entire two minutes, and overtime moved into the second round.
Grippo locked up a body triangle to kick off the second round of overtime, Maciel aggressively trying to roll out. For a moment, Maciel very nearly managed to escape, and Grippo adjusted to keep his grip. Maciel got to his feet in one last attempt to shake off his opponent, but Grippo hung on until the bell.
Maciel again chose to take the back, sealing control with a body triangle. Grippo gave it his all to escape, getting his shoulders to the mat and nearly managing to get out, but Maciel readjusted and was able to get his hips beneath his opponent again.
At the top of the third round, Grippo locked up another body triangle. His initial choke attempt had Maciel’s arm trapped close to his head, but he then adjusted to a palm-to-palm grip, cranking on Maciel’s face until time ran out.
Maciel started the final round of overtime with a body triangle, and though he tried to lock up a rear naked choke, Grippo got his shoulders free and rolled until he ended up on bottom mount, getting the escape with time to spare.
Gianni Grippo was declared the winner by fastest escape time and took home the title.
- Jaidyn Mueller def. Adelina Alvarez via rear naked choke
- John Lyons def. Dylan Garofalo via rear naked choke (OT)
- Albruce Touaev def. Dez McDonald via rear naked choke (OT)
- Trinity Pun def. Fleur Wayman via rear naked choke (OT)
- Savion Maranon def. Jacob Rodriguez via rear naked choke (OT)
- Laura Kent def. Eve Isaacs via triangle-armbar
- Andrew Solano def. Dillon Masington via armbar (OT)
145lb Tournament – Round 1
- Kennedy Maciel def. Jeff Mock via reverse triangle
- Frank Rosenthal def. David Weintraub via reverse triangle
- Keith Krikorian def. Suraj Budhram via rear naked choke
- Estevan Martinez def. Cameron Mellott via rear naked choke (OT)
- Gianni Grippo def. Ellis Karadag via heel hook
- Raul Rosas Jr. def. Luis Quinones via rear naked choke (OT)
- Gabriel Sousa def. John Battle via rear naked choke (OT)
- Damien Anderson def. Richard Alarcon via kimura
- Andrew Kochel def. Nick Willey via guillotine
- Kennedy Maciel def. Frank Rosenthal via neck crank
- Keith Krikorian def. Estevan Martinez via fastest escape in OT
- Gianni Grippo def. Raul Rosas Jr. via rear naked choke in OT
- Damien Anderson def. Gabriel Sousa via heel hook
- Rey de Leon def. Jack Stapleton via shoulder lock
- Kennedy Maciel def. Keith Krikorian via fastest escape in OT
- Gianni Grippo def. Damien Anderson via fastest escape in OT
- Joe Baize def. Drew Puzon via heel hook
- Gianni Grippo def. Kennedy Maciel via fastest escape in OT